Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Holiday Traditions

Handmade Wreath

The holidays are upon us!  I thought it might be fun to share some of our Christmas traditions; we're not the most traditional of people, but there are a few things that we love to do every holiday season.

1.  Toys for Tots.  Every year, my husband and I buy toys to donate to Toys for Tots, it's so much fun picking something out!  I usually go with something that I would have liked as a child, and my husband does the same.  Giving back was huge in my house when I was growing up, even when we didn't have a lot to give.  And when we did, my dad liked to give BIG.  I still remember loading up a cart at Toys R Us when I was a kid, filling it with toys his company was donating!

2.  Gingerbread Men (and ladies, and Ewoks...).  Gingerbread men might be my favorite Christmas cookie, they're delicious and fun to decorate.  We've used this recipe from the ppk for many many years, it's a good one and uses ingredients that you probably have in your pantry right now - no excuses about "weird" vegan ingredients!  

3.  Ornament Exchange.  My mom, my dad, me, and Shane all put our names in a hat and then we draw to see who gets who in our yearly ornament exchange.  This year, I got my husband, and it was quite a challenge finding an ornament for him!  Ritz kitty has added an extra layer of challenge - he knocked the tree over once already so the ornament has to be unbreakable.

4.  Christmas Eve gift.  This one is a leftover from childhood, I was allowed to open one gift on Christmas Eve, and the rest on Christmas morning.  My husband and I do this now too, it's always hard to pick which present to let him open early!

5.  Sesame Noodles.  For Christmas dinner, we like to go simple and quick!  My husband makes sesame noodles, which is basically peanut noodles, but with tahini instead of peanut butter.  Although this year, I think we're doing a mashed potatoes and gravy type meal for Christmas Eve; I'm looking forward to that because I'm a bit of a gravy fanatic!

What are some of your favorite holiday traditions?

-kala

2 comments:

Adi said...

Sounds like your Christmas celebrations are going to be really fun. :)

I've been going to the mall everyday with my mother-in-law to help out with Christmas shopping and I'll be cleaning the house soon to start preparing!

P.S: I love gingerbread cookies, so I'll have to check out that recipe! Thanks for sharing and hope that you, your husband, and family have happy holidays! :)

Michelle said...

Awe. I love your list of traditions. Mike and I don't have any traditions of our own yet, except decorating cutout cookies. I think I should work on changing that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...