Tuesday, December 18, 2012

When One Door Closes....

...another, usually more awesome door opens.  Today is weird, that's the only way I can describe it.  Borealis (an lys in Saint Paul) is closing on the 20th of this month and tonight is our very last knit night at the shop.  At the shop is the important part of that sentence because knit night will live on, just in a different location.  Still, it's always a funny feeling when it's time to move on, whether it's forced or not.  It's sort of like that feeling you have on the last day of school, when you know you won't be seeing these buildings and some of these people ever again.

Knit night is a big deal, guys.  When I moved here to be with my then boyfriend, now husband, I didn't know anybody.  So finding a knitting group full of amazing people was such a blessing, even though my first knit night was terrifying!  I was so intimidated, it seemed like everyone knew each other and I would never fit in.  But eventually I did (at least as close to fitting in as I get!) mostly with the help of my now dear friend, Jen.  She drilled me the first few times I showed up, asking me all sorts of crazy questions.  It's like she checked out the How to Torture Introverts for Fun and Profit book from the library and had a field day with me.  But that's Jen, she pulls people out of  their shells, even when they cling to the side for dear life.  I still don't regret passing on the bra fitting/shopping trip though! ;)

I'm trying to remember exactly how many years I've been going to knit night, I'm thinking six but I'm not sure.   Six years is a long time for a weekly get-together, a long time to make new friends, say goodbye to friends that have moved away, and to become closer with friends who remained.  What I will take away most from my time at Borealis is the friendships that I hold dear (and that keep me sane).  So while we will never again sit at that big wooden table at the front of the shop, I know we will still sit, knit, whine, cry, laugh, and cheer each other on once a week, every Tuesday.

-kala

4 comments:

Caryn @ FuzzynoodleLife.com said...

I'm really sad they are closing. While they weren't my usual LYS, they were good. And I hate to lose good yarn stores and the knowledge their staff offers.

Michelle said...

I'm so sad to hear that your LYS is shutting their doors. :-( It's great that your group is going to continue to get together. I hope you have a fun time trying new locations.

SallyT said...

Great post, Kala. Makes me think of the new term for a group of knitters coined by Paula of the Knitting Pipeline--a kindness of knitters.

JFibers said...

You are a dear friend! Even if I had to crack that shell of yours... Hugs to you and it is a sad day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...