Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pinterest Win: Regrowing Green Onions

Okay, so I can't say that every Pinterest-inspired project I've tried has been made of win.  But this super easy project actually worked!

Green onions

These are green onions that I regrew from scraps!  I simply took the bits (including the roots) of green onions that we used for a meal, stuck them in a canning jar (a glass would work too), and they grew after just a few days in the window!  I also change the water every 1 or 2 days.  I've already harvested one batch of regrown green onions this way, and I think these guys are destined for tonight's dinner.

If you want to read more about regrowing green onions, just search "regrowing green onions" on Pinterest and a bunch of pins will pop up.  I don't remember which was the original pin that inspired me, oops!

Have you guys every grown veggies from supermarket scraps?

-kala

5 comments:

Flan said...

I've heard you can do that with the butt end of celery in a pot of potting soil too!

Adi said...

They look very nice! :D
My mom has been growing an avocado tree in her backyard from the seed of a market store bought avocado. It's grown branches but no avocados yet.

vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

ColorSlut said...

I'm going to try it. I have a bunch in the fridge right now.

randipants said...

I regrew green onions in my window boxes alongside my herbs last year. Green onions all summer! Other than that I haven't had the best luck with regrowing but I'll definitely be doing the green onions again this summer.

Heidi said...

Oh, I like this. We use a lot of green onions, and my kitchen could use a bit of greenery.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...